Sunday, February 14, 2016

In which my car got stuck...




Do you see the grossness that is my icy Rexburg parking lot? I do...I see it every day. So, I haven't had a problem with ice at all this winter until today. I have been very blessed in this as the parking lot above has looked this way since November but my no-problems-with-ice streak ended today, and no, surprisingly it wasn't in this parking lot. I drove to church today and parked on the hill next to the building where I have church not really thinking about getting out again and went to church.

 *side note, church was AWESOME! We had a lesson in Gospel principles on the Atonement where the teacher really focused on us backing up whatever we said with scriptures which brought a lot of power to the lesson. #scripturepower :D )* 

Anyways, I left church and got into my car, turned it on, started backing out when I heard the dreaded sound of my wheels spinning uselessly against the ice. My front wheels were on solid asphalt and so were my back wheels, but right behind my front wheels was a sheet of ice. I was stuck. I was also embarrassed. This quote was running through my head.



I felt so dumb for parking there and not even thinking about how I could get stuck. There were plenty of other spaces where I could have parked just fine, but because I wasn't thinking earlier my car was stuck. I was sitting there for a few minutes deciding what I should do. My pride was voting that I just leave it there for a while and then come back later that night to see if, by some miracle I could move it then, but my rational side realized that I probably wouldn't be able to move it later and there would be even less people around to help me.

So, my rational side winning out, turned off my car and was deciding to go find help when one of my ward members walked by. I got out and told him that my car was stuck. He without any teasing or fanfare asked if I wanted him to push. He tried and when that didn't work, he snagged another boy and together they pushed me out of the ice and I offered him a ride home.

I know this is really silly, but I was so grateful that Heavenly Father sent someone that I know is so kind. He gave a talk in church the other week about how he always keeps a candy in his pocket in case he sees someone that needs a snack/treat. I know that it is true too because I have been the recipient of it once. I was already feeling so embarrassed so it was a tender mercy that he was there right when I needed a push and I knew that he would help and be happy to serve.

I am so grateful for all the Christ-like and loving people that are in my life!

And, since it's Valentines Day, I wanted to share a picture of some of the people that I love the most in the whole world, my family. (This is mostly my sisters as we were preparing to ambush one of my brothers with our Christmas marshmallow shooters, but its the picture I have with the most of us in it)


I love you Mom, Dad, Loralee, Joylyn, Mike, Brookeh, Susan, Karen, Julie, Erik, Jenn, Brad, Rachel, Eric, and my nieces and nephews!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you got your car unstuck. You pathetic meter wasn't skyrocketing, your damsel-in-distress one was. That means you were secretly very smart when you parked--your subconscious had a plan! (All the feminists out there now have permission to hate me.) But seriously, glad you got your car out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and we are grateful for you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. I like the damsel-in-distress meter :)

    ReplyDelete