Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Many Waters

Yesterday in my personal studies, as I was reading the Book of Mormon, I was seeking for revelation. I am in Ether in the Book of Mormon. The beginning of Ether to be more exact. It is the story of a family that God preserved and led and guided at the time of the tower of Babel. God told them to "go forth into the wilderness" into "that quarter where man had never been".

How scary would that be to be commanded to not only leave your home but also to go where no man had ever been before? I don't know about you but that would be pretty scary, but in that same verse it says "And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave directons whither they should travel"

If I was going into an unknown, uncharted place, There is no tour guide better than the Creator of the World. So off this family goes into the wild blue yonder and the Lord leads them across 'many waters'. When they got there, they pitched their tents and decided to stay for 4 years, even though God wanted to take them somewhere better. He wanted to lead them to a promised land. They didn't ask God's opinion though...they aparently didn't ask him anything because at the end of those four years the Lord comes down in a cloud and chastens the leder of their group for THREE HOURS. Then he tells them to go and build barges so that he can take them to a promised land. The place where he wants them to go.

I have heard this story MANY MANY times. I know it by heart, but yesterday as I was reading it, It finally connected in my mind. I always talk about how God has a plan for me, what didn't click before is that God is going to keep leading me across many waters until I get to the promised land that he wants me at. Sometimes I am really slow to realize that I probably haven't reached the promised land and that I should always be petitioning God to help me know where he wants me to be even if I don't always think I want to cross those waters. Sometimes I am nice and comfy in the Tent I have pitched on the beach next to the water I just crossed and I don't want to cross the next lake to get to the nice little cottage he has in store for me.

Earlier in my mission I learned about how "Good is the enemy to Great" How true is this? Just because we are good where we are at doesn't mean that where we are is where we will be Great. I know that as we all strive to be where God wants us to be, we will be not only good, we will be GREAT!


No comments:

Post a Comment