Friday, March 21, 2014

Family

A couple posts ago, I posted about how we are all children of God. The song "I am a Child of God" is one of the first songs I remember learning. The words go
 
"I am a child of God,
 an he has sent me here,
has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear"
 
As tempting (and sometimes true) as it sometimes is to change the words 'kind and dear' to 'kind of weird', family is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us.
 
 
     God has ordained a way for each of his spirit children to come to the earth. He has set commandments and guidelines for us to follow that not only make US happy, but provide the best way for the rest of his children to come to earth. The home is THE best place to learn. As we are growing up we learn from our parents, from brothers and sisters, from aunts and uncles, from Grandpas and Grandmas. We learn how to walk, talk, share, play, serve, and countless other foundational life skills that, when learned and applied bless us and countless others for the rest of our lives.
     I am so grateful for my family. I have wonderful parents and great brothers and sisters. I am so blessed to have been born into a home where I did have this generally ideal setting, but I know that not everybody has that chance. We aren't all born into a family where there are two parents that love and support you and each other. All families look different, have different interests, expectations, and values, but there is one thing that IS universal for all families, that is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ strengthens them.
 
    No matter what your family looks like . . . Single-parent, two-parent, lots of small children running around, teenagers, grown children . . . centering your home on Jesus Christ and his teachings is what will bring us closest together. In Matthew 11 Christ invites us all to take his yoke upon us and learn of him. As we do so we will find rest and peace, and as we help those around us to do so as well, they will find that same peace and it will create harmony. If we are all yoking ourselves to Christ, we will all be yoked together. What can you do to create a more Christ-Centered Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment